startdesi is a young startup with a vision to revive and promote our traditional and ancient lifestyle.
We have started with our special category of forgotten foods.its our endeavor to bring the most natural and best food to your dining table.
Our initial offering as forgotten foods include Millets,SiriDhanyagalu in Kannada, SiruThaniyagal in Tamil.
Millets are one of the oldest foods known to humans and possibly the first cereal grain to be used for domestic purposes.
It is very important for us to understand the benefits of using Millets for a healthy living and to the overall agriculture in a water scarce country like India.
Traditionally Millets were part of the Indian staple diet across different regions.
Millets can be called as Miracle Grains, lest see why,,,
- Millets are 100% Gluten free
- Low Glychemic Index of Millets moderates glucose release and hence very good for Diabetics
- Millets are highly nutritious,particularly high in minerals like iron, magnesium, phosphorous and potassium.
- Millets have high Dry Insoluble fiber content and hence easy to digest.
- Millets are not acid forming foods.
- Millets controls Obesity
- They are known to reduce Cholestrol and help to maintain Cardiac health
- Rich in Calcium
Apart from the above health benefits, millets have enormous advantages for the overall agriculture sector in India.
- Millets do not require huge amounts of water and irrigation.
- They need less than 25% of rainfall requirements when compared to Rice and Sugarcane and hence they don't require too much power either.
- Millets can grow on poor soil and dry lands and most importantly 60% of India's agricultural land is rain fed hence more suited to grow Millets.
- Millets can ensure not just food security for humans but also for cattle and the entire agricultural chain.
- They are naturally pest resistant and do not require fertilizers and hence no associated health problems.
If some thing is so naturally organic, nutritious, inexpensive and requires less resources to grow, we should revive and promote it.