Kodo Millet Pulav
Kodo Millet/Aarka/Varagu/Arikelu is a complete food and. It has high protein content (11%), low fat (4.2%) and very high fibre content (14.3%). Kodo millet is very easy to digest, it contains a high amount of lecithin and is excellent for strengthening the nervous system. It is rich in B vitamins, especially niacin, B6 and folic acid, as well as the minerals such as calcium, iron, potassium, magnesium and zinc. It contain no gluten and is good for people who are gluten intolerant. Regular consumption of kodo millet is very beneficial for postmenopausal women suffering from signs of cardiovascular disease, like high blood pressure and high cholesterol levels.
Kodo Millet Pulao
- Kodo millet - 1 cup,
- water - 1 & 1/2 cups,
- chopped carrot, beans, green peas - 1 cup,
- onion – 1,
- ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp,
- green chilli – 2,
- mint leaves – 12, salt - as needed;
- To temper: Ghee/ oil - 3 tsp,
- cinnamon - 1 inch piece,
- fennel seeds - 1 tsp,
- bay leaf - 1
• Heat a small pressure cooker and saute with oil/ ghee and add cinnamon, fennel and bay leaf.
• Stir and add onion and ginger garlic paste.
• Add the chopped veggies, mint leaves and salt
• Add washed, drained millet to it and mix well and cook.
• Add water, salt and bring to boil, mix well and cook for a whistle or two in medium or low flame.
• Serve hot garnish with coriander leaves.